There are six variables involved in any project, and therefore six aspects of project performance to be managed:
PRINCE2 is an integrated framework of processes and themes. It addresses the planning, delegation, monitoring and control of all these six aspects of project performance.
THE PRINCE2 STRUCTURE
The PRINCE2 method addresses project management with four integrated elements of principles, themes, processes and the project environment:
- The Principles – There are seven principles and unless all of them are applied, it is not a PRINCE2 project.
- The Themes – They describe aspects of project management that must be addressed continually throughout the project.
- The Processes – There is a step-wise progression through the project lifecycle, from getting started to project closure. Each process provides checklists of recommended activities, products, and related responsibilities.
- Tailoring PRINCE2 to the Project Environment – It describes the need to tailor PRINCE2 to the specific context of the project. PRINCE2 is a flexible framework that can be tailored to any type or size of project.
Why PRINCE2® ?
PRINCE2® (Projects IN Controlled Environments) is a process-based approach for project management. It provides an easily tailored and scalable method for the management of all types of projects. The method is practiced worldwide and is the de-facto standard for project management in the UK.
PRINCE2 is recognized as a truly international standard. More and more people are benefitting from the training courses and certifications that are available worldwide.
Benefits for you as an individual
- You learn how to manage projects by using the most internationally recognized project management method.
- Instead of seeing the completion of the project as an end in itself, you can ensure that team members focus on the viability of the project in relation to its business case objectives.
- You promote consistency of project work. And you promotes the ability to reuse project assets while facilitating staff mobility and reducing the impact of personnel changes/handovers.
- You improve communication and control by using plans and reports to meet the needs of each level in the project team and Project Board.
- You mitigate problems and issues and focus on the viability of the project.
- You evaluate the project portfolio to bring clarity and allow improvements in reviewing projects.
Benefits for the Organization
- PRICE2 will save time and effort from a shared and thoroughly understood language and approach to reporting.
- PRINCE2 will increase staff awareness of their roles and responsibilities in the project management life cycle.
- PRINCE2 utilizes an invaluable diagnostic tool, facilitating the assurance and assessment of project work, troubleshooting and audits.
- PRINCE2 ensures that stakeholders are properly represented in planning and decision making.
- PRINCE2 enables more effective engagement of stakeholders in the process of project approval and management.